Nuclear Power & Uranium
JD Energy developed its Nuclear Power & Uranium Practice in support of its comprehensive electricity forecasting effort. For more than 10 years, JD Energy has provided forecasts of US nuclear power generation on a unit-by-unit basis as well as uranium price projections. These forecasts are both embedded in our core power and fuel forecasts and are available for independent purchase.
What Distinguishes Our Nuclear Power & Uranium Practice
JD Energy's Nuclear Power & Uranium Practice is distinguished by its strong industry expertise, its rigorous methodological approach, and the integration of its nuclear power projections with our overall electricity modeling system.
- More than 10 years of experience in nuclear power and uranium forecasting in a fully integrated electricity model.
- A combination of in-depth economic analysis grounded by uranium mining engineering expertise.
- Publication of a major 2008 study entitled US Nuclear Power: Resurgence, Status Quo, or Collapse? that examined the cost of issues surrounding nuclear power. The study also assessed the development of nuclear power in relation to other electric generating options in three separate 22-year scenarios.
- Nuclear power expansion is assessed on a regional/state basis in an integrated electricity model against the backdrop of its cost and political acceptability in relation to other generating technologies.
- Uranium pricing is conducted using a thorough systematic evaluation of demand, global reserves, quality, mine development projects, cost, impact of non-mining uranium supplies, and degree of speculative market influence.
- Nuclear power generation occurs within the framework of a unit-by-unit approach that incorporates the consideration of individual unit cost and performance characteristics.
We extensively cover both the immediate short-term markets and also give in-depth assessments of the various long-term forces at play that will affect nuclear power's competitiveness decades from now.
In addition, in recognition of the significant uncertainty in energy markets, JD Energy evaluates probabilistic alternative cases in all of its analyses, thereby providing the user with a carefully considered bandwidth of outcomes for purposes of contingency planning and risk assessment.
- Nuclear Power and Uranium Quarterly
- Assesses major trends affecting uranium markets and the development of nuclear power in a 10-page narrative
- Includes an evaluation of changes in the political climate toward nuclear power, technology advances, supply-demand shifts in uranium markets, and the influence of international nuclear power policies on the US
- Provides 3-year forecasts on a month-by-month basis of uranium pricing
- Nuclear Power in the US (Annual Forecast)
- Our one-time per year in-depth report and 25-year forecast of nuclear power generation and uranium pricing
- Includes detailed nuclear power cost assessments vis-a-vis other generating technologies, evaluates favorable and unfavorable trends affecting nuclear expansion, and assesses uranium supply issues
- Provides a 3-scenario long-term electricity forecast identifying areas of most likely nuclear power expansion or contraction
- Unit-Specific Nuclear Notes
- Issued monthly, evaluates selected nuclear units on a state or regional basis
- Addresses unit generation, operational characteristics, capacity changes, and political acceptability
JD Energy Nuclear Power and Uranium Practice publications are available for individual purchase or as part of a larger subscription. Please Contact Us to learn more.